Research Opportunity Databases
How to Find a Research Experience
- Apply to CSU-LSAMP Program at Cal Poly & receive our weekly newsletter focused on research & graduate school opportunities. LSAMP students are also eligible to apply for the Summer 2021 LSAMP Research Scholars Program to receive a $3,500 stipend to conduct research with a Cal Poly faculty member.
- Check out the LSAMP Guide to Finding the Best On- & Off-Campus Undergrad Research Experience (PDF) and the LSAMP Guide to Engaging Cal Poly Faculty in Conversation about Research (PDF).
- Join the Cal Poly Undergraduate Research Association, a club designed to make it easier for Cal Poly students to get involved with on-campus research.
- Make an appointment with CSU-LSAMP staff here or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for support with your search. Please include your availability. Appointments are available for all students at Cal Poly.
- Interested in a paid off-campus research experience? Start your search using the databases & resources listed below.
U.S. Government Research Opportunity Databases
- Department of Energy Internships: The DOE provides nationwide opportunities for research participation, fellowships, scholarships, training, and internship programs for undergraduates, grads, postdocs, and faculty.
- NASA Research Internships: NASA Internships are competitive awards to support educational opportunities that provide unique NASA-related research and operational experiences for high school, undergraduate, and graduate students, as well as educators. These opportunities serve students by integrating interns with career professionals emphasizing mentor-directed, degree-related tasks, while contributing to the operation of a NASA facility or the advancement of NASA's missions.
- National Institute of Health Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research: Summer programs at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) provide an opportunity to spend a summer working at the NIH side-by-side with some of the leading scientists in the world, in an environment devoted exclusively to biomedical research.
- National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs): NSF funds a large number of research opportunities for undergraduate students through its REU Sites program. Each program has a different application process. We encourage you to apply for more than one! An REU Site may be at either a US or foreign location.
- Naval Research Enterprise Intern Program (NREIP): This program provides an opportunity for students to participate in research at a Department of Navy (DoN) laboratory during the summer. The goals are to encourage participating students to pursue science and engineering careers, to further education via mentoring by laboratory personnel and their participation in research, and to make them aware of DoN research and technology efforts, which can lead to employment within the DoN.
Other Research Opportunity Databases
There are multiple other databases and resources that can connect you with programs that interest you the most. NOTE: Some opportunities in these databases are open to undocumented and DACAmented students.
- Institute for Broadening Participation – Pathways to Science
- Louis Stokes Midwest Center for Excellence Opportunities Board
- RISE Germany: Summer Research Internships in Science and Engineering
- SACNAS Opportunities Board
- SFSU Undergraduate Internship and Research Opportunities Database
- Student Opportunity Center
- UndocuSTEM: Summer Research and Professional Development Programs for Undocumented College Students in STEM Fields
- WebGURU - Guide for Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program Listing
Other Summer Research Resources & Opportunities
NOTE: Some of the opportunities listed below are open to undocumented and DACAmented students.
- Astrobiology Research for Undergraduates at the SETI Institute
- Big 10 Summer Research Opportunities Program
- CAMPARE Undergraduate Research Opportunities in astronomy, physics, planetary and space science, or astrobiology | Please contact the Cal Poly CAMPARE liaison before you apply!
- The Leadership Alliance Summer Research – Early Identification Program (a consortium of universities including Stanford)
- INROADS Internship Program (research-related internships in industry)
- EuroScholars Program (research abroad for the best and brightest)
- STAR Research Opportunities for Future K-12 STEM Teachers
- University of Arizona Summer Research Institute (SRI)
- UCSB Research Programs & Opportunities (for non-UCSB students)
- University of California Summer Research Opportunities Overview (for non-UC students)
- UCSF Summer Research Training Program (for non-UCSF students)
- University of Colorado Summer Multicultural Access to Research Training (SMART)
Participate in the CSU Student Research Competition
The 34th Annual CSU Student Research Competition will be held in Spring 2020.
Each Winter quarter, Cal Poly hosts an internal competition to identify the Cal Poly students who will represent the university at the CSU Research Competition.
Students must apply through their colleges (typically in January) to participate in the internal competition. Please contact your College Dean's Office or Advising Staff for more information about the specific deadline in your college!
More information about application requirements for all students can be found on the Office of Research & Economic Development website.
CSU-LSAMP at Cal Poly is supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. HRD-1826490 and the CSU Chancellor's Office, and coordinated by the Center for Engineering, Science, and Mathematics Education (CESAME) at Cal Poly, SLO. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in these materials are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.